Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, January 04, 2007

44 Wonderful Years

New Year's Eve...our celebration of 44 years since our engagement! I was probably the happiest woman alive that night...I had been waiting for 3 1/2 years for this moment- and it came as a total surprise! Next June we will celebrate 44 years of wedded "bliss". Dave and I were just talking yesterday- after watching a great message by Dr. Creflo Dollar on marriage- how we are still growing more in love each year and how much fun our retirement years have been...and how we both love spending 24/7 together. So many people told us that this season is such a hard one to adjust to...we have not found that to be true. We love being retired and doing so many things together.
I have to tell you how proud I was of Dave today. We went back to our rental home here to work on the garage door opener- again. We had spent about 6 hours working on it before Christmas. Dave is the most patient man I've ever known! I was privileged to be the "helpmeet" on this job- holding the flashlight- getting the right tool- holding the motor up with a garden hoe wrapped in a rag so it wouldn't fall on his head...and making encouraging remarks like, "I would just take the whole thing and dump it in the trash and say, 'this house no longer comes with an electric garage door opener!" Dave took the entire motor apart- screw by screw- I thought he was nuts! thinking...He'll NEVER get this back together. He had to repair something or other in it and do many other miraculous things that simply amazed me! He worked on it for another 3 -4 hours and when all was done...it worked! I was flabergasted! He is THE MAN! Thank you Lord for the privilege of working side by side with this man of yours. I am so blessed.
And then....

How many women would die for a husband that takes her ballroom dancing 3 times in a week? Yes, we went to a wonderful dance on New Year's Eve, then to the Sons of Italy Italian club last night and to our Deltona Dance Club tonight. We dance here in Florida with a great bunch of people. Tonight as we were cleaning up there was a couple handing out a Ray Comfort tract! We of course struck up a conversation with them and found out we have so much in common. It was their first night there. The picture here is Dave doing a line dance! We both love line dances and tonight we were discussing what our favorite dance is...we can't decide between Rhumba and Waltz and Swing...we like them all so much. God is good. He has so blessed us. We want to continue living out our lives for HIM and thank HIM that he has given us each other. For anyone reading this...who may be going through tough times...we say...be committed to each other...hang in there during the tough times....God is faithful!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Maybe that's why you both seem so young! :)

Unknown said...

Mary Beth, thanks so much for your blog! It is so sweet to see you and Dave having the time of your lives together. God's grace is so evident in your relationship. Thank you for your example of serving your husband. Even when you write about him, I can sense your affection towards him. God is so good! You guys make me feel like dancing! (and I don't dance!)

Lisa H said...

Such a sweet post! I'm glad to hear such an uplifting view of the retirement years! You guys are so blessed to have each other.

Anonymous said...

What great things to say about your husband. It's it wonderful that we can say these things about our men. Many women today can't and that's so sad. I've seen family members go through extremely tough times in their marriages in the last couple of years and it makes me so thankful for my Dave and all the blessings God has given us in our 27 years. I can hear the pride in your words and it's really touching. What an example to your kids as well. I wish I knew that date the we got engaged on. How sad that I never recorded it. I hope as time passes Dave and I will be a testimony to our family as you and your Dave are to yours.