Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, August 26, 2006

BANK ACCOUNT

Bank Account
Okay. what does this have to do with a bank account…well, let me explain. Yesterday was one of those days. It started out SO great. We were sitting down by the lake having our morning smoothie and coffee and doing our Bible study. A sound pretty romantic and spiritual doesn’t it? Well, it was! God is good. Anyway, Dave said," Does our camera have a zoom on it?" I told him, no, that my $70 digital camera that I bought almost 5 years a go had no “extra” features.” (One of those great DOOR BUSTERS at Staples the Day after Thanksgiving!) We discussed buying a new one but the way our bank account looks right now…I suggested that we wait until the Day After Thanksgiving Sale when they ALWAYS have a good deal on cameras- and anyway we’d be in Florida with really nothing to do…and maybe have some more cash then…so we agreed. Yes, we’d wait to buy a new camera. Then Dave said, “You really ought to take a picture of this scene and add it to your blog.”
I said, “Okay, why don’t you run up and get the camera.” (What happened to the help meet here? Oh well!) So he went up and got it BUT on the way out the door..DROPPED and broke the camera! He promises that it was not purposeful! . In the mean-time- Sam called and said we could bring our car down for a needed repair… so we decided we’d be close to some shopping so could shop for a camera- just can’t have a blog with no camera! Amy and her family are in need of our water bottle and crock so I filled up several gallon jugs, our Igloo, the water bottle and another 5 gal. jug- and put them in the trunk When we got there he said, “Was that igloo full of water????” YES! “Well, not anymore!”. So…we emptied out the trunk and left it to Dry out- transferred the water containers to the truck and took off for Amy’s. We then had lunch-(also a story there at Cracker Barrel as we WAITED ½ hour for 2 salads- watched the tables on each side of us be cleared, seated, order, got their food- almost done- still no salads..) That turned out okay as they brought us BIG salads and cornbread- ALL for a the price of a $2.00 kids meal-(you can get two salads and a drink for that price as a SR.- there are SOME advantages!) then we shopped for the camera and found what we felt was a good enough deal…
(By the way...this is taken with the OLD camera after I taped the battery compartment back together..we REALLY don't NEED a new one!) then went and picked up the car. It was THEN I discovered that my Cutting Mat that we had picked up the night before at Lisa’s had been left in the back seat in the direct sunlight. I have been SO careful and protective of it since I bought it when teaching about 12 years a go! It was then that I lost all that I had been doing in Bible studies and did NOT deposit well into my bank account! God is teaching me that STUFF is still too important! Today I got this story about the bank account and thought you would enjoy it. It really spoke to me.
THE BANK ACCOUNT
A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably coifed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently
passed away, making the move necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.
As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.
"I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.
"Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait."
"That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.
"Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. "It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do.
Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just for this time in my life.
Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories! Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing." Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.

2 comments:

Lisa H said...

What a sweet story! So sorry about your cutting mat and your camera! I didn't realize that you had already replaced your camera! You guys work quickly!

Beth said...

Great story and good reminder!