Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, August 20, 2006

What does a weekend with 15 grandkids look like?

This weekend started last Thursday when Sam and Lisa and boys came up so Sam could help Dave finish the cover on the lakeside patio. Lisa, the boys and I spent the time in the lakeside "pool" trying to beat our 13 + days of 100 + heat! Sam and Dave had to haul lattice up on top and staple it down to provide us with some shade down by the lake. We finished off the night with a game of "500" and I don't remember who won.
I had a rather sleepless night as I was up reading my Karen Kingsbury novel! So when the doorbell rang at 7 a.m. I stumbled out of bed and greeted the 8 Smith kids for the day! We began with breakfast. breakfast They brought a box of Cream of Wheat-I was set to make enough for 8- Caitlin informed me that they make enough for 16! Then at supper time- I got out the 2 boxes of Mac and Cheese but Caitlin said, "Oh Grammy, we always make 4 or 5!" Good thing I had spares on hand.
The day was spent with 5 hours down at the lake swimming, boating and searching for treasures in the lake. JM won that one with his prized net...only to lose it later while swimming with Ana BUT Ana saved the day and found it again so they now have joint ownership!



Saturday the whole Smith clan was back along with Jay and Cole Hasz- giving relief to their parents with the new baby! More swimming, games, food and fun! At one point in the day Ana and JM were playing Fisher Price (that is getting out the house, school, farm, and hospital and all the furnishings). Ana was in charge of the school and JM the house. Ana came in to appeal to her mom becasue JM had all the desks from the school in his house! Amy told Ana that she thought that JM should give her the desks since she had the school. JM adamently exclaimed, "But MOM! My kids are homeschooled! What will they do for desks????!!"

We finished off that day with a story then Amy picked them all up about 8. I fell into bed exhausted but happy! Cole and Jay spent the night and went to church with us on Sunday. Jay talked GrandDad into a Stop Thief game.
Tonight we brought Jay and Cole home and had pizza with David and Beth. We then met Jon and Jordan at Dairy Queen to experience her first ice cream cone! (Sorry- blogspot won't let me put on any more pictures!) Then Jon and Dave went to Lowes to get Jon a grill-dropped me off at the Coffee Shop to blog- then we'll go over to Sam and Lisa's and play some 500.
THAT is what a weekend looks like here in East TExas!

5 comments:

Lisa H said...

I love the picture with Dave and Jay! They both look so intent on the game...it must have been a close one! :) Thanks for staying to play 500-we had a good time! Busy, busy weekend for you guys!

Jan said...

Looks like a wonderful 4-day weekend for everyone. All the pix were great! What a blessing that everyone lives close enough for get-togethers like these. You and Dave will probably need a day or two to recuperative from so much activity!

Beth said...

You forgot to tell the world how you lost Cole. :)

It's really a good thing I didn't know about it until after you found him . . . I was already having a hard time with him being gone for the night. It's kind of like a rock and a hard place—it is so nice to have a break and just deal with a newborn . . . but then I can't hardly bear him being gone either.

We appreciate all your help. You are such a blessing to us!

Anonymous said...

What great grandparents, hope to be one someday just like you guys! Just lookin' at your pictures makes me want to come and play, too!

Lisa H said...

I'll expect to see a picture of your new hair-do on here tomorrow! :)